BC Epilepsy Society Presentation to the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services
On Thursday June 11th, the BC Epilepsy Society had the opportunity to present to the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services during the 2021 Budget Consultation process.
During this presentation, Kim Davidson, CEO & Executive Director of the BC Epilepsy Society, spoke about the prevalence of epilepsy, provided shocking facts and statistics about epilepsy and told the story of epilepsy, the orphaned disease in BC, including the story of Jared Ricks to be featured in our upcoming What If … Documentary Series™ coming in the Fall of 2020 and about the epilepsy crisis in BC.
In addition to the above, we also put forth recommendations that the BC Epilepsy Society hopes to see in the 2021 Budget, including:
- Funding the BC Epilepsy Society to allow the hiring of 6 system navigators to serve and support people living with epilepsy in communities around the province
- Funding the BC Epilepsy Society to allow for the expansion of our existing programs and services throughout the province
- Creating and funding a Ketogenic Diet Program in the Adult Epilepsy System in BC
- Increasing the current cap of 16 for Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) procedures to 40
- Creating and funding three new neuropsychologist positions in the Adult Epilepsy System in BC
- Providing PharmaCare coverage for Brivlera
- Funding the BC Epilepsy Society to allow for the co-creation of public service announcements with the Ministry of Health on epilepsy awareness and seizure first aid similar the ones currently televised for stroke
For more information on the presentation done by Kim Davidson on behalf of the BC Epilepsy Society and the over 50,000 people living with epilepsy in BC, please click here to read a transcription of her presentation.
Help us raise awareness of epilepsy and fight the epilepsy crisis in British Columbia by being a voice! We encourage people to fill out our form letter and write to their MLA here and sign our petition here.